A Brief History
The first ever sheep dog trials took place at the Mill Home, Keelogs,
Binnion on the 27th of October 1954.
Committee Members 1954
President Rev Douglas
Chairman Phillip Grant
Secretary Nuala Grant (daughter of Phillip Grant)
Treasurer Packie Harkin
Jim Clafferty, John M Doherty, John Gallen, Philip Grant, Jack Grant,
John Lynch, Michael McEleney, M Harkin, P Gibbons,Willie Grant,
Anthony McHale, P Doherty (James), B O'Doherty, Mac Devlin, P Grant
James Kelly, J McEleney, Anthony McErlean, Eddie Noone.
Prizewinners that year in the Open Class were as
1st prize J Brady, Co Antrim with Jess
2nd Prize J Brady. Co Antrim with Ditto
3rd Prize N Phillips, Co Down with Spy
Prize money was £4, £3 and £2.
In 1955, the Clonmany Sheepdog Trials moved to the Warren, Binnion.
The Sheepdog Trials continued up until 1959 at Binnion but unfortunately
events lapsed that year and did not recommence until 1967 where the
trials were held in Pollan Green, Ballyliffin. This annual event still
takes place at Pollan Green and remains popular to this day.